Monday, March 27, 2006

Proverbs 22 - keeping your name

A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. (Proverbs 22:1, NIV).
In this age of "do whatever it takes to get ahead" very little is mentioned anymore about the value of your word, or keeping your name honorable. What am I doing right now to keep my "name" honorable for generations to come, so my great, great grandchildren have something honorable to look upon with a good memory? O Lord, you are the only one who can keep my name good, and you do it for the glory of Your Name!
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. (Psalms 23:1-3, NIV).
Trike

2 comments:

Wash0088 said...

"A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer from it." (22:3)

This is one that I find myself struggling with on occasion. I put myself in some situations that probably have more risk than is prudent. If I continually do this, I will continue to test boundaries, and it could become easier to cross them into something that I entirely do not want to be a part of.

-Dan

Anonymous said...

I just had sort of a comment on what you said today about Proverbs 26:7,9.

One thing that has always held me back in being more open with my beliefs and simply sharing them has been fear of screwing it up. I'd hate to have more people feel that way. While I agree that many people calling themselves followers of Christ have done the Christian body disservice by being foolish in many situations, the Word is much more than some proverb. It's living and active, as you know. :)
I can't find the verse, but there's an instance of when Paul is discussing what he has heard to be slanderers or false preachers of the Gospel preaching for self gain (or something, I don't recall to what extent). He says that he is pleased that the Word is getting out! I wish I could find that verse.
I suspect that Paul would be pleased with my sharing of the Gospel, even if I screw it up, as 1) it's certainly an invitation for the Holy Spirit to work through me, and 2) while I often am a fool, the good news is being shared, and I'd like to think the good news is more powerful than where my heart is.

Anyway, I still agree that many foolish things have given much of the Christian body a bad reputation, so I don't know. I could be completely off base, but that's my $0.02.