Friday, March 03, 2006

Day three - Proverbs 3

Well, today the Lord did a cool thing. I really enjoyed all of Proverbs 3, but some of the verses that really impacted me I have already memorized:

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. (Proverbs 3:5-7, NIV).

9 Honour the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; 10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine. (Proverbs 3:9, 10, NIV).

27 Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. 28 Do not say to your neighbour, “Come back later; I’ll give it tomorrow”--when you now have it with you. (Proverbs 3:27, 28, NIV).

Such great wisdom to live by! However, this time through Proverbs 3, verse 34 hit me:
He mocks proud mockers but gives grace to the humble. (Proverbs 3:34, NIV)
Wow! I was hit once again how God really dislikes pride and arrogance in our lives. He loathes those who are proud, and especially those who mock those are correcting us. This passage actually says that God "mocks" those who are mockers. Amazing... Reminds me to keep my heart humble, or God will do it for me!

See you tommorow for Ch. 4,

Trike

2 comments:

A. Engler said...

3 Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man.

Nothing has a long memory like the heart. What will I carve onto the stone of memory that is my own heart? I could allow bitterness or envy or greed or malice to be carved into the tablet, leaving its mark throughout its living memory, or I could carve steadfast love into its record and leave the lasting legacy of love.

The only way I mark steadfast love onto the tablet of my heart, however is from the same commandment upon which the Law and the Prophets hang: love God and love neighbor. I don't think it is a coincidence that favor comes from the very same persons to whom the steadfast love which is stamped onto my heart, first must be given towards.

May I this day, and always mark my heart with the permanent stamp of steadfast love onto a writing surface that does not forget.

Wash0088 said...

"She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her" (3:15)

She is wisdom, and it really rings true with me. The more I strive for external things, the more internal turmoil I receive. However, if I strive to know God, and the wisdom of God more, I find inner peace--its much more precious.