Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I passed! I actually DO have a world view!

Below are my results from a online quiz that I got from my friend Mark Van Steenwyk to see what your predominant world views are. I am SO HIP - I scored as a postmodernist.
[TOTALLY SARCASTIC SIDE NOTE - doesn't it completely defy the whole postmodernism thing to take a test to see that you are postmodernist! I mean, should I, as a postmodernist, be completely concerned with the parameters of this quiz - shouldn't I be DECONSTRUCTING IT TO DEATH - shouldn't I be unable to answer any question with definition at all - in fact, why am I trying to say anything at all in this blog entry, since it is all filled with words which are completely meaningless to describe anything anyway - END OF TOTALLY POSTMODERN SARCASTIC RANT]

However, my most second place was "FUNDAMENTALIST" - which is someone who totally believes in absolutes...how screwed up is that? I'm a messed up person. Do I believe everything is black and white - or that the entire world is open to interpretation? I need a sabbatical to figure myself out (I should as the elders for another month to figure this quiz out!)

I'm not sure it's worth more than 3 minutes of your time (but, that's all it takes, so go ahead and see how you score. The link is here.

I SO DIG the little graphic that describes my world view too. Pretty much sums up what is going on inside my head most days...

Here are my results:

You scored as Postmodernist. Postmodernism is the belief in complete open interpretation. You see the universe as a collection of information with varying ways of putting it together. There is no absolute truth for you; even the most hardened facts are open to interpretation. Meaning relies on context and even the language you use to describe things should be subject to analysis.

Postmodernist

56%

Fundamentalist

56%

Cultural Creative

50%

Romanticist

38%

Idealist

25%

Existentialist

25%

Materialist

19%

Modernist

13%

What is Your World View? (updated)
created with QuizFarm.com

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa dude...if you look closely your are also equally a fundamentalist! I have no idea how one can be both a postmodern and a fundy AT THE SAME TIME...unless...unless you are teh chosen one, the one prophesied. You are the one of whom is said, "there shall come one who is of neither worldview, but both, and he shall bridge the rift."

stevetreichler said...

Dude,

That is so funny that you caught that...I just was posting it, and caught it myself and then edited my post to reflect how completely screwed up I am! I must be the chosen one, I mean, I feel like the chosen one... I certainly smell like the chosen one (think John the Baptist after a few weeks in the desert with the same tunic on and the aftermath of not changing his undergarments and passing serious locust gas.)

Seriously, though... The questions were a bit jaded in how they would determine you to be a fundy, don’t you think? “There are no absolute truths” - well, even that stupid statement is an absolute – so how are you supposed to answer that? Fun, though, and albeit, only 25 questions or so, but pretty accurate – I think most evangelical people who are in the culture would come out with Pomo and Fundy as top billing.

Trike

A. Engler said...

Unless, of course, you score as I did among the newest cultural grouping of "culturally creative" who just now are beginning to set the stage to replace all you old "pomo" types. We're so underground yet, we're not even underground!

Victoria said...

Steve and others,

So, I guess I'm not evangelical. I scored overwhelmingly Romanticist(69%), with my next 3 closest scores being at 50%. That makes Romanticist significantly statistically different from the others :)

Vicki

stevetreichler said...

Pat and Aaron,

I think "culutural creative" really is code for "we-don't-have-a-clue-what-you-are-so-we'll-just-call-you-creative". Similar to when your 7 year old paints a painting of a pony, but it looks more like a Boeing 757 - you just say, "isn't Johnny so CREATIVE."

Sorry to burst you bubble, boys. More than "being able to read" is required to be in to top category - that of course being a POSTMODERNIST/FUNDAMENTALIST!!!!

Anonymous said...

OUCH! That's not very nice. But, then, perhaps that type of behavior is to be expected. As a Postmentalist, I'm guessing maybe you're always a little confused as to what guides your actions. Should you act based on situational/environmental factors, or based on a stable set of doctrines? Those two sides of your worldview may often be conflicting. There is a war going on inside your head!

Should I be worried that you are my pastor?

Really, though, I love you still...no matter your worldview (but only because I have to). No really, just kidding.

Have a nice day!

stevetreichler said...

Dear Anon,

I love that phrase - POST-MENTALIST. Nothing on God's green earth could possibly describe me better!

Trike

Anonymous said...

My score was 63% Cultural Creative, and 63% Fundy. I got the asked the tie breaker question and answered it in such a way that it called me
Cultural Creative. That probably means I gamed the test.

I chose for myself Evangelical who can read.

Anonymous said...

This is two weeks late, but I couldn't resist taking the test. I scored 94% cultural creative with Romanticism and Postmodern tied at 63%. Three cheers for the cultural creatives!!! We are the heirs.
--Michael D.