Thursday, March 09, 2006

Proverbs 9 - Do I handle people's criticism well?


“Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult; whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse. Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning. ~ Proverbs 9:7-9
One of the very hardest things about the Christian life is that I need to listen to the correction or rebukes of people around me. Now, I will be the first to admit, some people have very poor motives when they correct others: Revenge, Hatred, Arrogance, Concealment of their own faults, and, quite frankly, just plain old Meanness. However, I am instructed to look for the "kernal" of truth in what they say, no matter how small. What can I learn from this? What can benefit me for the future in what they are saying? Is this simply malicious, or is there something, ANYTHING, that I can take away.

That, to me, is the difference between someone who is a mocker and someone who is trying to become more like Christ. As one of the leaders at Hope, I take a certain amount of hits. It is a LOT less than most pastors I know, but they are still there. Each time this happens, I need to ask myself what element of this is true, and what else is going on in our relationship that would precipitate something like this. "O God, make me a wise man who "will become wiser still, and who will take correction as a gift from You!"

Trike

1 comment:

Wash0088 said...

Once again, i picked the verse immediately before the verse you picked!

"Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of understanding." (9:6)

It is much like the comment for chapter 8 that I made, but besides the direct connotation of life, in the eternal sense, I also see it another way.

The more wisdom I (hopefully) gain, and the more knowledge, and the further down this path I go, the more I truly LIVE. The physical life even receives the benefits. Appreciation for the blessings we have is making the things around me come to full bloom, and in vivid detail. It is difficult for me to put into words what I am envisioning, but it is a beautiful thing.