Thursday, March 02, 2006

Proverbs 2 - Day TWO

Well, I've gotta confess, the proverb that God really put on my heart was actually 5 verses long (gulp - remember, I am committing myself to memorize these things... and I don't even remember where I put my car keys today!). Anyway, here is today's for me:
My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. ~ Proverbs 2:1-5

After reading that passage I have two instant reactions:
1. I get fired up! Such a great thing to pursue! Such a challenge! Do I really WANT to know and fear God THAT bad? Am I willing to forgo all else to find the "pearl of great price" (Matthew 13:45-46)?
2. I feel so lazy! I am so easily satisfied with how far I have come, with the knowledge and blessings that have come from knowing Jesus Christ as I already do. Yet, I want so much more. I want to know him and fear him and love him with more and more of my heart. I want him to daily influence and intervene in my daily existence from the mondane to the magnificient.

I'd love to hear what God is teaching you this day. Yesterday's comments were great!

Trike

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was challenged this morning, because God put it on my heart to choose those five verses as well. I can barely remember 1:7 from yesterday! I thought it was neat how yesterday, through 1:7, we learned that "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." Today, we got small glimpse of how to begin to fear the Lord. In order to understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God, we must "call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding" (2:3). Although it is extremely exciting that God gives us the gift to gain even a small piece of his knowledge, I'm also overwhelmed by the idea of the knowledge of God. What a huge concept!

Anonymous said...

We're two for two on chosen verses.

However, each verse has brought different reflection to me than to you. That aspect in itself amazes me! God is so great that he can affect multiple different people in drastly different ways from the same verse of wisdom!

Wash0088 said...

“for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones.” (2:8)

I find it easy to worry, over analyze, and stress about life. But it is amazing to me to feel and witness the effects of simply putting your trust in God. It is a huge weight off my shoulders.


Dan

Anonymous said...

I was particularly attracted to vv. 1-5 as well. .Though I'm not sure I'll be able to memorize them.

Thanks Steve for such a great idea. I look forward to today's post (Friday). See ya.