Saturday, March 04, 2006

Day Four of our March to Wisdom

Once again, I hit a chapter that I have been ministered to for many years. The following passages have meant a lot to me in the past, and especially verse 23:

7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. (Proverbs 4:7, NIV).

18 The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day. 19 But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble. (Proverbs 4:18, 19, NIV).

23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. (Proverbs 4:23, NIV).

25 Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. (Proverbs 4:25, NIV).

Proverbs 4:23 has been one of the most important verses in my life. It kept me from several bad moves in my realationship with women in my college years. It kept me from allowing my "urges" to drive me instead of my God given "passion", which I think is so important for this current generation to also think about.

Since I have already memorized those verses, I needed to look for something new, and, once again, was pleased to find vr. 26
26 Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. ~ Proverbs 4:26
I am at a point in my life where I need to constantly decide to chose between what is "good" and what is "best", especially in my role at Hope and with outside minsitry opportunities. There are just so many things one can give themselves too, but only some are "firm."

Also, this is a great verse to think about when it comes to being enticed by sinful urges. The footnote in the NIV says that the verse could also read, "Consider the paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm." I need to seek wisdom daily for good decisions to not give myself to sinful urges or to settling for what is good as opposed to best. "Father, make this happen by your Spirit, for your glory and for my joy!"

Trike

1 comment:

Wash0088 said...

"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding" (4:7)

God is worth more than the rest of what we have put together, so why not seek understanding no matter what stands in our way.

Dan