Tuesday, April 19, 2005

[sab·bat·i·cal]

Pronunciation: sa-’ba-ti-kal
Etymology: Latin sabbaticus,
from Gk sabbatikos, from sabbaton
1 : of or relating to the sabbath
2 : a break or change from a
normal routine (as of employment)

cast
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.” ~
Jesus in Matthew 11:28

I first entered full time ministry work in 1987 as a staff worker with The Navigators at the University of Minnesota. It seems like only yesterday when I was a young punk, leading Bible studies, teaching at Nav meetings, hanging out in dorms and coffee shops with college students, and staying up late playing cards talking about Jesus to people who were interested in knowing more about him.

I’ve changed a bunch in the 18 years since then, but then again, not so much. That last paragraph still pretty much sums up what I do here at Hope now. It just is a bit more complex with multiple staff, and dozens of ministries happening. But, those are the things that I have truly loved to do for the last 18 years.

In all the years of ministry, I have never taken any substantial time off for reflection, rest and refueling. Two years ago, our Overseers encouraged me to take a 3 month sabbatical as soon as possible. Not to get rid of me (I’m sure the thought crossed their minds!), but to allow me and my family to recharge ourselves in Jesus and each other - to take some time away from the day to day operations of the church, seek God, get some rest, as well as do some development. I’ll be taking two courses to further my Doctor of Ministry program at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and taking 2 trips to Colorado (one with my lovely wife CAROLE for a marriage getaway weekend, and one solely for FLY FISHING IN THE ROCKIES!!!) We also have some home projects as well as family camping and fishing trips.

In all, I’ll be on sabbatical from May 1st to July 31st. In my absence the staff will do great (in fact, I can hear them cheering already!). Even though we are on sabbatical, you all are our friends, so feel free to email or call on us ~ but just know that it might take a little bit for us to get back to you. I really hope to be blogging a lot during this time - more for a journaling process than anything else...

Pray for us that God would truly give us his rest and excitement to return this August and labor in his kingdom work!

Coming to Jesus for rest,

Trike

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations! That sounds great, and well-deserved. I hope you and your family have a refreshing time.

Anonymous said...

You go, er, girl!

stevetreichler said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm two days into this thing, and MAN, DOES IT FEEL GOOD! I'll be around, hopefully blogging a bunch. Take care of yourself, and keep your stick on the ice - (Red Green www.redgreen.com).