Sunday, January 02, 2005

Tsunamis and the Sovereignty of God

As I write this, the count is now over 114,000 people who lost their lives due to the recent tsunami that hit the coasts of India, Indonsia, Thailand and other Indian Ocean countries. The relatively small region of Indonesia called Sumatra, which only has about 40 million people, lost 28,000 people on that fateful Sunday from the flooding due to the 9.0 earthquake in the area. Estimates today say that about 5 million people are without the basic needs they have for shelter, food and water. This is a disaster of biblical proportions.

My heart breaks for these people, many of whom were on a vacation of a lifetime. In minutes, the playful beach play turned into a frolic for their lives, and many were not able to overcome the stong waves and currents of the tsunami. At times like this, I have two almost polar opposite, simultaneous thoughts that give me peace.

First, I wonder what God is up to in this whole process. The God of the Bible is in absolute control of all things, and although he has no darkness in him whatsoever, he often uses tragedy for his purposes. I fully admit that as much as I would like to know God's reasoning, I am not able to look into his purposes so that I fully understand. But I KNOW that he does all things for ultimate good and for his pleasure.

Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him.
(Psalms 115:3, NIV).

I am forced to think this way because we believe in a God who is absolutely sovererign over all things. And, although I do not understand, I completely trust that he is good, and he is in control of this and all things, even evil events. He allows things for his good reasons.

Second, I plead with God to rescue people from this tragedy. I ask him to send all kinds of aid, to allow miracles to happen to find survivors, for disease and looting to be non-existent, for many, many people to meet Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord through this. Why do I pray to God that way? Again, I pray because he is completely sovereign...otherwise, prayer would make no sense. Why pray to him if he really isn’t able to answer?

But you, O Sovereign LORD, deal well with me for your name’s sake; out of the goodness of your love, deliver me. For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.
(Psalms 109:21, 22)

On Friday, December 31st, my three boys and I decided to do something to help out in a practical way...we got online and donated some money to World Vision. I couldn't be prouder of my three boys as they each decided to donate some of their money to those in need.

Let me encourage you to prayerfully consider helping out at this time. There are many organizations that can help out the victims of this disaster. Three that we have been recommending to our church are:

World Vision - www.worldvision.org
Christian Children's Fund - www.christiandchildrensfund.org
Habitat for Humanity - www.habitat.org

Father,
By your incredible great power, show yourself to so many people in that region. Allow them to see you as you are, the powerful, mighty, in-control God that you are...as well as the one who weeps with those who weep in times like these. Be with the survivors. Show yourself to them. Use these events to draw men, women and children to yourself. Allow great work of believers to show the love of Christ to those in need. Work as only you know how to work!
Amen

1 comment:

lee said...

cool post...all the religion in the world means squat if it doesn't drive us to some sort of social activism...