Wednesday, January 19, 2005

A New Year, The Word of God and Life

It is that time of year again, when people make all kinds of resolutions to eat healthier, be nicer, save money, are better parents, lose weight, or finally win a Super Bowl (for all you Vikings fans out there).

I’ve never been one for promises like that. They seem to just fade away once my interest changes, or I may miss a day of exercise and just figure, “Might as well quit...didn’t reach my goal of exercising everyday, so I might as well not exercise at all!”

I know that sounds silly, but we all do that. How does real change happen, then? Is it through being disciplined and regimented in how we treat ourselves? That is part of the solution, but not all of it. Without transformation in our MINDS, our change of behavior is just that, a change of BEHAVIOR. I crave TRANSFORMATION!!

Jesus never called us to be nice, or thin, or healthy in and of itself. He calls us to be godly, to seek first his kingdom, to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and THEN these things will change.
How do you get that kind of transformation? Through God’s word!

The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring for ever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb.
(Psalms 19:7-10, NIV)

This year, join me in reading the Bible through in a year. You can get a Free Discipleship Journal Reading Log to help you do it along with me. BUT, even if you don’t “make” it all the way through (I seldom do make it through in a year!), that isn’t the point...being transformed by Jesus is!!

No comments: