Friday, June 02, 2006

My response to Andy



Andy (and all),

I now know why I am considering becoming Amish...

Whatever happened to just the old "family camping trip?" Or going fishing? Or talking with a group of friends? Or going hunting? Why is our vast prosperity leading us into more and more need for elaborate escapes from the realities of life?

I say this as I personally struggle with engaging in and understanding our current American culture so I might win some. I struggle with this. I own a larger home than my parents ever did, enjoy perks of living in the 21C (like the personal computer I am typing on now - and it's fast too, God forbid I would have to wait 1 extra second per web page...) and am remodeling my basement for a place for family and friend hangouts. I take a swing at our consumerism culture and find my self hitting myself square in the nose... I hate and love our American choices.

I think this is why I have fallen in love with fly fishing as of late. Its me, a river, a trout, and deciding who is smarter (I won't tell you who normally wins...) However, even as I went to a midwest fly fishing expo this spring, you can spend literally thousands of dollars on gear, trips, training, etc. Sigh... I thought this was to escape all of this, and yet there it is again.

I think part of it is that we are so stressed out living the incredibly fast paced life we live (mostly due to our consumerism and technology) that we will pay ANYTHING just for some rest (or what we percieve to be rest.) For instance, I bought a really nice chair to put in my bedroom a year ago SO THAT I would have a niche in the corner to read my Bible and pray. Not that this is wrong - I think it was a good decision - but it highlights the whole issue. I have in my wallet a card that goes behind my credit card that says: GOD HAS MADE ME A STEWARD OF HIS RESOURCES. Good reminder every time I pull that puppy out.

There is a fine, but very definate line, between ENJOYING things and experiences (1 Timothy 6:17) and WORSHIPPING things (Matthew 6:19-24). God help us all!

Help us, o guru of consumerism, Professor of Philosopy and stuff! What say you? As we rub the belly of this budda, what can you give to us to empower us? Heal our land and our habits!

I loved the description of the class. I'm sure it was life changing for those students, and a great reminder for you. However, American culture will quickly suck all the life out of their learning without the "eternal vigilance which is the price of freedom..."

Hope all is well with you out there in "fly over country." It is beautiful these days in MN. Will you be around at all this summer?

Take care, my friend,

Trike

3 comments:

Post_Fidelitas said...

Andy, you rock and I miss you! Let me know when you start the Monastery of St.Bonhoffer.

Anonymous said...

The worst part is that it's so SNEAKY. We're living in a free house, my workplace provides me with lunch, I pride myself on being frugal, and I felt endlessly annoyed with all of our "stuff" when we moved just a few weeks ago. But last tuesday we went out and purchased a bunch of new things which we "needed" for our home. I need new clothes and shoes and curtains and rugs and lamps and ... and ... and ... I read a book in which a (paranoid) character said that the government wants you to consume, and if you don't, they'll come after you. And sometimes I feel like it's true. We live to consume.

Anonymous said...

Get yours FREE Today!